ARGUS Natural Gas Americas
The Argus Natural Gas Americas service is your trusted daily service for the latest natural gas market news, prices, data and trends.
The Argus Natural Gas Americas service provides daily prices, news and analysis on more than 120 hubs and over 90 bid week index calculations each month. This daily service helps you determine how much to pay for gas and how much is available, and informs you about trends in capacity and constraints on the pipeline grid.
Act with confidence using our Argus Natural Gas Americas service as a reliable and accredited source of indexation. Our methodology has been approved by the US Federal Energy Regulatory Committee (FERC), an independent agency that regulates the interstate transmission of electricity, natural gas and oil. We are dedicated to providing our clients with trustworthy information by following federal guidelines for price reporting and using a rigorous procedure to handle confidential data.
The natural gas network in North America is increasingly interconnected. Changing supply and demand patterns mean that traders can access gas far from their customers, and transport it reliably and cheaply on an ever-expanding pipeline network. The amount of gas traded varies each day and each month at the 100-plus hubs indexed by Argus.
The indexes are based on gas delivered at hubs, zones, specific interconnects (receipt or delivery points) or other well-defined regions of a pipeline system and the gas grid. Some hubs are major ones with high interchange capacities and are major connections for the flow of gas from producers or to distribution companies. Other hubs are meant to reflect market values on a limited segment of an interstate pipeline system or a distributor citygate.
Certain hubs have been in place for decades, but other infrastructure was added recently with the expansion of shale plays and quickly went into high utilisation. A few of the newer hubs are among the most commonly traded locations in North America.
A few important hubs are listed below. A complete description of all markets covered by Argus is available here in our methodology.
- Appalachia: Dominion South Point, TETCO M-2 Receipts
- Northeast: Algonquin Citygates, Transco zone 6 NY
- Louisiana/Southeast: Henry Hub, Transco zone 4
- East Texas: Houston Ship Channel (all), Katy hub
- South Texas: NGPL South Texas zone, TGP zone 0 South
- Midcontinent: ANR Oklahoma, Panhandle Oklahoma Mainline
- Upper Midwest: Chicago citygates, REX zone 3
- Rockies: Opal, PGE Citygates
- Canada: Dawn, Ontario; NIT/AECO
- Southwest: SoCal Gas Co, Waha
- Identify what is moving the market and the short-dated outlook
- Verify fundamentals that are driving physical gas futures markets
- Learn where gas is constrained from moving in the east, Gulf coast, midcontinent, west and at citygate locations throughout the country
- Understand how gas storage inventories drive the forward price curve
- Get coverage of Mexico, including weekly news and updates about infrastructure projects
Customers that benefit
The Argus Natural Gas Americas service is essential reading for those involved in gas production, distribution and use. Below are examples of how some clients use this service:
- Exploration and production companies use Argus' indexes to settle spot and long-term sales contracts. They need to understand the movements among the 100 daily indexes to determine where it will be profitable to drill and to sell gas in coming years.
- Local distribution companies and utilities issue requests for proposals for long-term gas based on Argus' indexes, which are among the most reliable in the industry. These market representative prices can justify purchasing decisions to any state regulator.
- Gas processors continually weigh the value of flowing pipeline gas downstream or having it fractionated into natural gas liquids (NGLs). Since both of these markets change every day, margins can be significantly affected and we help inform their decision.
- Storage operators exist in a highly competitive market and need to know how to price their services over many injection and withdrawal cycles. The accuracy of Argus’ indexes helps them determine the price they offer these services to storage customers.
- Marketing companies have many choices when originating long-term purchase and sale contracts, and some of them also complete hundreds of spot trades a day. The high degree of accuracy in Argus’ indexes for both daily and bid week prices, rounded to the nearest half cent, allows for significant value to be captured when large volumes are taken into account.
- Large industrial companies and power generators need a fixed price for fuel inputs to be able to secure customers or clear the market. The reliability and rapid delivery of Argus’ indexes lets them know where they stand for their process engineering and supply chain compared with the power market as a whole.
- Pipeline companies need reliable, unbiased indexes based on the volume weighted average method to settle cash-outs for gas imbalances each month. They also need the indexes for customer capacity release transactions. The indexes for both purposes are cited clearly in their tariffs and on their websites.